Symantec Backup EXEC: How to migrate Data and catalogs to a fresh installation of 11d or above on a different server
This week our backup server had to be replaced. So we installed the new server. Installed Backup EXEC 12.5 on the new server. But I want on the new server al my jobs, policies, selection lists and catalogs. After some google search I had found all the info I need to do this.
In the following article I’ll show you how you can do this.
SERVER01 the old backup server
SERVER02 the new backup server
To download the latest version check your “Your Symantec License Certificate” email you received from Symantec. Find the Backup EXEC serial number and Enter the Serial Number from the Certificate to logon to the fileconnect site. Follow the link to the FileConnect User Guide for more info.
1. Install a fresh copy of Backup EXEC on the new server SERVER02. Run LiveUpdate to download the latest hotfix and service packs
2. Upgrade your old backup EXEC version to the latest version. If you are upgrading from 9.X first upgrade to 10.X and then upgrade to the latest version. On SERVER01 and SERVER02 should run the same BACKUP EXEC version. Also run LiveUpdate to download the latest hotfix and service packs.
3. On SERVER01 stop all backup exec services and stop the backup exec database. Use the Backup Exec Service Manager(C:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\BEUtility.exe) to Stop All services. To stop the backup exec database run the following command from the command prompt net stop MSSQL$BKUPEXEC.
4. Copy the mdf and ldf files from the symantec backup exec data folder(C:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\Data) to your new backup exec server SERVER02.
5. On SERVER02 run the Symantec Backup EXEC Utility(C:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\ServicesMgr.exe). Select All Media Servers right click on your new Backup server and select Copy Database…
7. Copy the catalogs folder(C:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\Catalogs) content from SERVER01 to the same folder on SERVER02. On SERVER02 you will see 2 folders SERVER01 and SERVER02.
9. Navigate to HKLM | Software | Symantec | Backup Exec for Windows | Backup Exec | Server. Copy the value DBVersion. navigate to HKLM | Software | Symantec | Backup Exec for Windows | Backup Exec | 11.0 | Install. past it to modify the value of Upgrade Version.
10. Open a command prompt. Run the command C:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\bemig.exe. This may take some time to complete so wait until it returns to a command prompt. This will migrate all data.