Join the StarWind Beta program and provide your feedback on the upcoming new version of StarWind SAN V8 featuring:
2011-07-12 PuTTY 0.61 is released:
PuTTY 0.61 is out, after over four years (sorry!), with new features, bug fixes, and compatibility updates for Windows 7 and various SSH server software.
Last year I posted an article about the “Proliant Support Pack Cleaner” (PSP), last month I did 28 P2V’s migrations and this software was really helpful. During the VMware Converter Wizard I disabled on the “destination server” the HP PSP Startup services, after the P2V process I runned the PSP Cleaner to remove drivers, services etc.
Guillermo Musumeci released in 08/11/2010 version 1.5
Support both x86 and x64 versions of HP Proliant Support Pack.
Run in Unattended mode using /NOGUI parameter.
To run HP Proliant Support Pack Cleaner, you must run as administrator, or disable UAC on Windows 2008.
StarWind Free iSCSI SAN provides an Enterprise Feature set to Evaluate the Benefits of SAN’s, Virtualization and fast Disk-to-Disk Backup.
StarWind Software, a global leader and pioneer in SAN software for building iSCSI storage servers, today announced StarWind Free iSCSI SAN that allows you to build an iSCSI storage appliance based on the Microsoft Windows operating system, with full snapshot and backup capabilities, which can be optionally upgraded up to StarWind HA (High Availability) for dual node redundancy and off-site data replication.
StarWind provides a free and open architecture to eliminate vendor lock-in when selecting SAN hardware, reducing the need to overpay for disks, controller hardware and software licensing. Total cost savings with StarWind allow desktop virtualization to become a reality since one of the biggest hurdles to virtualizing desktops has been the cost of SAN hardware. Not to mention all the other solutions StarWind is ideal for such as providing shared storage for virtual servers to leverage live migration, physical servers to consolidate direct attached disks, server clusters such as SQL or Exchange or for fast backups to disk.
Social Media Links
Currently no other vendor is offering free iSCSI SAN software with the same robust feature set as StarWind’s. More information regarding the free version of iSCSI SAN Solution you can find in the below link.
StarWind Free Edition Overview
Rob de Veij updated RVTools to version 3.1 , release notes:
- Logon form tab order rearranged
- Logon form will remember your last selected host / vCenter server
- On vInfo new fields Provisioned, Used and shared storage
- On vInfo new fields install Boot Required, number of Virtual Disks
- On vInfo new fields Fault Tolerance State, FT Latency Status, FT Band width and
- FT Secondary Latency
- On vInfo new field 128-bit SMBIOS UUID of the virtual machine.
- On vDatastore new fields Total provisioned, Used and shared storage
- On vDatastore new fields SIOC enabled flag and congested threshold value
- On vDisk new field disk persistence mode.
- On vNetwork all IP addresses of adapter are now visible
- On vMemory new field distributed Memory Entitlement
- On vCPU new fields static Cpu Entitlement and field distributed Cpu Entitlement
- On vHost new fields Current EVC mode and Max EVC mode
- New batch command line parameters -u user and -p password
- Bugfix: custom fields not always visible on vSnapshot tab.
- Bugfix: Export to Excel, some numeric columns are saved as text instead of numbers
- RVToolsBatch.cmd with send by email example deployed in RVTools program file directory
I’m running NagiosXI in my testlab, to monitor my ESX hosts/VM’s I need to install the Nagios VMware Plugin. What did I do to realize the VMware host monitoring:
You need to install the SDK software.. download the VMware vSphere™ SDK for Perl download version: vSphere SDK for Perl – 32-bit Linux Installer because Nagios is running on a Linux 32-bit VM.
- Upload (with WinSCP) the extracted folder to the Nagios VM /tmp/ ;
- Dir to the folder: vmware-vsphere-cli-distrib ;
- Install the SDK: ./vmware-install.pl
Last weekend I downloaded the OpenFiler v.2.3 iso to configure the Central Storage solution in my homelab. After installing the software in a new VM I figured out how to configure iSCSI targets and present them to my ESX servers…
I’m running both VMware ESX 4.0 and ESXi 4.0 in my lab and both provide iSCSI functionality by default to connect through to an iSCSI target.
After I installed OpenFiler in a VM I connected to https://ip:446, you can manage your service account with the created root account and you can manage the OpenFiler with the following credentials Username: Openfiler Password: password
My configuration staps…
Create a new volume group:
1. Physical Volume – Assigning space on a physical disk for use in a Volume Group.
2. Volume Group – Contains Physical Volumes from which a Logical Volume will be created.
3. Logical Volume (LUN) – This is what is presented through to a server
- Select volume and give a volume group name (in my case VMpros)
RV Tools version 2.9 is released by Rob de Veij, whats new:
- On vHost tab new fields: Vendor and model.
- On vHost tab new fields: Bios version and Bios release date.
- On vInfo tab new field: VM overall size in bytes (visible when using VI API 4.0)
- On vSnapshot tab new fields: Snapshot filename and size in bytes (visible when using VI API 4.0)
- New vNic tab. The vNic tab displays for each physival nic on the host the following fields: Host, datacenter, cluster name, network device, driver, speed, duplex setting, mac address, PCI and wakeon switch.
- Layout change on vHost, vSwitch and vPort tabpages. They now all start with host name, datacenter and cluster name.
- The commandline function ExportAll extended with an extra optional parameter. It’s now possible to specify the directory where the export files are written.
The NoDrives tool creates a ADM files to remove the icons representing selected drives from My Computer and from Windows Explorer. Also, the drive letters representing the selected drives do not appear in the standard Open dialog box.
This tool creates a easy to use Group Policy Template. You do not need to calculate the drive value you only have to check the drives you want to hide and create the ADM.
- Windows Server 2008 R2
- Windows Server 2008
- Microsoft Windows Server 2003,
- Microsoft Windows 2000
- Download it here.