Today I updated Exchange 2007 SP1 with rollup 6 to (Windows 2008 Standard SP1 64 Bit) rollup 7, 8 en 9. After each installation I rebooted the server en checked if de Database was mounted. After installation of Microsoft Exchange Rollup 9 and restart server I can’t connect my mail database. I receive this error:
Exchange is unable to mount the database that you specified. Specified database DOMAIN\First Storage Group\Public_Folders; Error code:MapiExceptionCallFailed: Unable to mount database. (hr=0x80004005,ec=-1023)
Add the Exchange Servers group to the "Manage auditing and security log" policy
To add the Exchange Servers group to the Manage auditing and security log policy, follow these steps:
- Log on to a domain controller by using an account that has administrative rights.
- Click Start, point to Administrative Tools, and then click Domain Controller Security Policy.
- In the Default Domain Controller Security Settings Microsoft Management Console (MMC) snap-in, expand Local Policies, and then click User Rights Assignment.
- In the right pane, double-click Manage auditing and security log.
- In the Manage auditing and security log Properties dialog box, click Add User or Group.
- In the User and group names box, type DomainName\Exchange Servers, and then click OK two times.
- Exit the Default Domain Controller Security Settings MMC snap-in, and then wait for this security setting to propagate across the domain controllers in the domain.
- Restart the Microsoft Exchange Information Store service. (I Restarted the server)
- Pfew its online and mounted: 🙂