All snapshots are created in the default virtual machine directory. Even if the vmdk disk file is located on different datastore than the virtual machine, the delta files are created in the default virtual machine directory.
This article provides instructions to change the default location.
Changing the location of where the delta files are created is helpful if you need to:
- Create a snapshot but do not have enough space on the VMFS volume
- Power on a virtual machine but there is not enough space to create a swap file on the VMFS volume
To change the default location:
- Power off the virtual machine.
- Add the following line to the VMX configuration file for the virtual machine:
- To reload virtual machine configuration, run the command:
# vimsh -ne "vmsvc/reload <VmId>"
When you power on the virtual machine, snapshot files and VSWP files are created in the new location.
Note: If you do not want to redirect the virtual machine’s swap file, add the following line to the VMX configuration file, then reload the configuration:
When you power on the virtual machine, the swap file is created in the same directory as virtual machine.