The following information provides highlights of some of the enhancements available in this release of VMware ESX:
VMware View 4.0 support – This release adds support for VMware View 4.0, a solution built specifically for delivering desktops as a managed service from the protocol to the platform.
Windows 7 and Windows 2008 R2 support –This release adds support for 32-bit and 64-bit versions of Windows 7 as well as 64-bit Windows 2008 R2 as guest OS platforms. In addition, the vSphere Client is now supported and can be installed on a Windows 7 platform. For a complete list of supported guest operating systems with this release, see the VMware Compatibility Guide.
Enhanced Clustering Support for Microsoft Windows – Microsoft Cluster Server (MSCS) for Windows 2000 and 2003 and Windows Server 2008 Failover Clustering is now supported on an VMware High Availability (HA) and Dynamic Resource Scheduler (DRS) cluster in a limited configuration. HA and DRS functionality can be effectively disabled for individual MSCS virtual machines as opposed to disabling HA and DRS on the entire ESX/ESXi host. Refer to the Setup for Failover Clustering and Microsoft Cluster Service guide for additional configuration guidelines.
Enhanced VMware Paravirtualized SCSI Support – Support for boot disk devices attached to a Paravirtualized SCSI ( PVSCSI) adapter has been added for Windows 2003 and 2008 guest operating systems. Floppy disk images are also available containing the driver for use during the Windows installation by selecting F6 to install additional drivers during setup. Floppy images can be found in the /vmimages/floppies/ folder.
Improved vNetwork Distributed Switch Performance – Several performance and usability issues have been resolved resulting in the following:
- Improved performance when making configuration changes to a vNetwork Distributed Switch (vDS) instance when the ESX/ESXi host is under a heavy load
- Improved performance when adding or removing an ESX/ESXi host to or from a vDS instance
Increase in vCPU per Core Limit – The limit on vCPUs per core has been increased from 20 to 25. This change raises the supported limit only. It does not include any additional performance optimizations. Raising the limit allows users more flexibility to configure systems based on specific workloads and to get the most advantage from increasingly faster processors. The achievable number of vCPUs per core depends on the workload and specifics of the hardware. For more information see the Performance Best Practices for VMware vSphere 4.0 guide.
Enablement of Intel Xeon Processor 3400 Series – Support for the Xeon processor 3400 series has been added. For a complete list of supported third party hardware and devices, see the VMware Compatibility Guide.
Resolved Issues – In addition, this release delivers a number of bug fixes that have been documented in the Resolved Issues section.
This release contains all bulletins for the ESX Server software that were released prior to the release date of this product. See the VMware Download Patches page or click on the name of a bulletin for more information on the individual bulletins.
ESX 4.0 Update 1 contains the fixes contained in all of the following patches:
Patch Release ESX400-Update01 contains the following individual bulletins:
- ESX400-200911201-UG: Updates Core
- ESX400-200911205-UG: Updates lpfc820 driver to version 126.96.36.199.52vmw-2vmw
- ESX400-200911206-UG: Updates hpsa driver to version 188.8.131.52vmw-2vmw
- ESX400-200911207-UG: Updates mpt2sas driver to version 02.00.00.00.1vmw-2vmw
- ESX400-200911208-UG: Updates Service Console Kernel
- ESX400-200911209-UG: Updates forcedeth driver to version 0.61-2vmw
- ESX400-200911210-UG: Updates ixgbe driver to version 1.3.36-2vmw
- ESX400-200911211-UG: Updates megaraid2 driver to version 2.00.4-2vmw
- ESX400-200911212-UG: Updates megaraid-sas driver to version
- ESX400-200911213-UG: Updates mptsas driver to version
- ESX400-200911214-UG: Updates ahci driver to version 2.0-2vmw
- ESX400-200911215-UG: Updates ata-piix driver to version 2.00ac6-2vmw
- ESX400-200911216-UG: Updates mptspi driver to version
- ESX400-200911217-UG: Updates qla2xxx driver to version 821.k1.42vmw-2vmw
- ESX400-200911218-UG: Updates s2io driver to version 184.108.40.20627-2vmw
- ESX400-200911219-UG: Updates nx-nic driver to version 4.0.301-2vmw
- ESX400-200911220-UG: Updates cciss driver to version 220.127.116.11vmw-2vmw
- ESX400-200911221-UG: Updates Service Console glibc
- ESX400-200911222-UG: Updates enic driver to version 18.104.22.168-1vmw
- ESX400-200911223-UG: Updates Web Access
- ESX400-200911224-UG: Updates fnic driver to version 22.214.171.124.2vmw-2vmw
- ESX400-200911225-UG: Updates bnx2x driver to version 1.45.20-2vmw
- ESX400-200911226-UG: Updates the VMware ESX 4.0 e1000
- ESX400-200911227-UG: Updates the ESX 4.0 Intel igb driver
- ESX400-200911228-UG: Updates the ESX 4.0 Serverworks PATA for ATA driver
- ESX400-200911229-UG: Updates the ESX 4.0 ATA
- ESX400-200911230-UG: Updates the ESX 4.0 SCSI/iSCSI driver
- ESX400-200911231-UG: Updates the ESX 4.0 qlogic SCSI driver
- ESX400-200911232-UG: Updates the ESX 4.0 curl component
- ESX400-200911233-UG: Updates the ESX 4.0 gnutls component
- ESX400-200911234-UG: Updates the ESX 4.0 libxml2 component
- ESX400-200911235-UG: Updates the ESX 4.0 python component
- ESX400-200911236-UG: Updates ESX 4.0 SNMP component
- ESX400-200911237-UG: Updates the ESX 4.0 bind component
- ESX400-200911238-UG: Updates the ESX 4.0 ntp component
- ESX400-200911239-UG: Updates the ESX 4.0 audit component:
ESXi 4.0 Update 1 also contains all fixes in the following previously released bundles: